Do you know New York State offers three types of driver license now? You can choose either one.
These are Enhanced (EDL), Real ID, and Standard License.
The differences are:
If your license or permit was issued before October 30, 2017 and is not Enhanced, your current license is Standard. Getting a REAL ID is not mandatory but is encouraged. Why don’t you get Real ID when you renew or newly get your driver license?
Here is how:
- You will need to go to a DMV Office. You cannot get a REAL ID online, by phone, or through mail.
- You MUST bring to the office the following original or certified proof documents:
1) Proof of identity, such as valid license, birth certificate or passport
2) Proof of Social Security Number or Social Security Number ineligibility
3) Proof of U.S. citizenship, lawful permanent residency or temporary lawful status in the U.S
4) Two different proofs of New York State residence such as utility bill, bank statement
And your full name and address should be matched among all the document.
- Bring your glasses or contact lenses (if needed) to pass your vision test for license renewal or original permit.
DMV offers online “FIND YOUR PROOFS” guide to find out what you need easily.
There is no additional cost for Real ID, but $30 extra for Enhanced.
Beginning October 1, 2020, Standard New York State license will not be accepted for domestic air travel without additional documentation.
I definitely my Read Id when I renew my license!